Saturday, July 21, 2007

Mariza

I have just watched the DVD of Mariza's Concerto em Lisboa, given to me as a birthday present. Mariza is a Portuguese fado singer. I saw her in concert here in Tallinn last year after she was recommended to me by a friend, and I was blown away.

For anyone who has never heard of Mariza, let alone heard any of her music or seen or heard her live on stage, let me just say that this is what music is meant to be about. I had never been truly moved by music or the power of the voice until I heard Mariza, and by the time the last couple of numbers came around on this DVD I was in tears. People who know me will be aware that this is not something I tend to do: that is how powerful Mariza's music and performance is. You don't have to understand a word of Portuguese to get it. It just hits you.

<-- If you see this DVD in the World Music section of your local HMV, buy it at once. In fact, if you come across any of her CDs or DVDs, buy them. If you flip over to SBS or whatever your country's equivalent of the cultural TV channel is and one of her performances is on, drop the remote control. And if you stumble across an ad for one of her concerts, book tickets. I can't recommend her highly enough.

Here's a YouTube link to the closing number from the concert, Gente de Minha Terra: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeOhPR_0x8E.

12 comments:

AndrewGoesBroadway said...

Not only did I cry and cry and cry watching her, but I immedialtely posted this clip on my blog. Notice how much more artfully I posted the clip . . .

Love,
Donna

AndrewGoesBroadway said...

Sorry, my previous post was a bit rude, but I do like the way it looks when you let youtube post the clip to your blog . . . But I LOVE YOUR BLOG JUST THE WAY IT IS . . . so please, don't take offense.

AndrewGoesBroadway said...

I have watched that clip, like, 15 times now.

phutty said...

Dear Donna,

You know I know you too well to ever take offence at anything you say. I love you just the way you are!

Your true friend,
Stacey

phutty said...

Anyway, a little offence would be worth it knowing that Mariza had worked her magic on someone else.

AndrewGoesBroadway said...

Apparently, there is something about you and me that makes us extraordinarily susceptible to Mariza's magic on first glance. Her magic does not work on everyone. I just got another e-mail from someone I forced the clip on, and this person was "bored." What is wrong with everyone???

Bucky said...

Wow, thank you, Greg! That was great. I have found my new favorite singer. Thank you for bringing a reason for living. You have saved my life.

--Buck

phutty said...

They are clearly cold-hearted philistines. I bet it's because it's in a Funny Foreign Language.

phutty said...

That's great, Buck! I knew fado would save someone's life one day.

Yours,
Stacey-Greg

Bucky said...

You know what? I love that "funny foreign language" so much. I don't think Mariza could do what she does in English, Spanish, German, French or Italian. It works better in a language we never hear. Don't you love that part about 3 minutes in where she holds the "mmmmm" consonant forever?

Crooked Crow said...

I just wanted to put my 2 cents in:

Mariza is the greatest performer living today. Disagree and die.

Love,
Crooked

phutty said...

Buck, you are so right: that mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm moment jumped out at me the first time I heard it too.

And Crooked Crow, I would never disagree with you on that one!