Thursday, December 6, 2007

Depressing realisation

SL Õhtuleht today has an interview with Finnish historian Martti Turtola, who claims that the view of Estonia as poor cousin in his country has disappeared almost entirely without trace.

"There may well have been people who looked down their noses at Estonia before, after the collapse of the Soviet Union, but not any more. It has come on so rapidly that everyone ought to be green with envy."

The historian says that the Finns have in fact learnt a thing or two from their southern neighbours. "Mostly to do with their lifestyle," he explains. "Finns are a very serious bunch. I lived in Estonia for four years and I realised that while our histories are similar, for some reason Estonians are much happier."

If that's the case, what does it say about Finns?

4 comments:

AndrewGoesBroadway said...

Well, when I lived in Estonia, Finnish disrespect of Estonia was alive and well. If that is changing, HOORAY!

Anu said...

Does this mean that I would be happier if I lived in Estonia?

phutty said...

Apparently it does. Who knew?

Anonymous said...

phutty.blogspot.com; You saved my day again.