Monday, August 13, 2007

寿司店

Over the weekend we popped into Sushihouse on Rataskaevu in the Old Town for a spot of vegetarian maki. They had the saltiest soy sauce I have ever tasted.

Other than that, the experience more than lived up to the various awards they have been, er, awarded with, including Silver Spoons for best restaurant. The place itself, or at least the little cellar bit we were in, was a delightful fusion of the medieval and oriental: I can understand how they have also won awards for best interior design. And yes, the maki was great. I also tried their gyoza, and although no one's gyoza will ever live up to my Japanese host mother's gyoza on my school exchange to Hamamatsu in 1992, it was still lovely. Best of all, the maki et al are perfectly affordable.

Here are the edited highlights of how the restaurant describes itself on its website, http://www.sushihouse.ee/: "Sushihouse is far from only a sushi-serving restaurant. Sushihouse serves healthy food and natural beauty for a demanding taste. The cuisine offers you freshness, contrast and pure taste. In addition to the rich and various menu [there is the] unforgettable interior, fabulous service and various rooms, where in addition to the traditional restaurant layout are available lounge and comfy-cozy chamber with soft pillows, which offer a chance for a very relaxed pastime. Sushihouse is a well-balanced mixture of old and new, where cultures (east-west; old-new) coexist in balance and harmony instead of a collision."

As obvious as it may seem, I might just point out that I did not translate their blurb for them.

6 comments:

AndrewGoesBroadway said...

You know what's funny? When you said that you were making a post about Maki, I thought you meant mammi -- the Finnish mid-summer dessert made from molasses and looks like you-know-what. I love mammi!

phutty said...

I have no idea what you're talking about and I don't think I want to, do I? Sounds revolting. Those crazy Finns sure have some weird taste buds. :)

AndrewGoesBroadway said...

Mammi is my favorite dessert in the whole world. I wish I could have it airlifted to me here.

phutty said...

I'm sure Jukka would send you some if you asked.

AndrewGoesBroadway said...

I don't think Mammi is shippable.

AndrewGoesBroadway said...

I could probably make it myself.