Thursday, August 16, 2007

...but I know what I like

One of the things I love about Estonia is its applied art - particularly what they do with glass. Here's a picture of a glass, um, thing I bought over the weekend. I couldn't take my eyes off it despite the multitude of beautiful things vying for my attention, and so I bought it.

Here's another photo of it. The photos are almost as beautiful as the thing itself. (Thank you Anu!)

And here's a picture of the gallery I bought it from.


It's called Lühikese Jala Galerii because it's on Lühike Jalg, one of the loveliest streets in the Old Town. They have a sister gallery on Vene which is equally enchanting. On their website (http://www.hot.ee/lgalerii/eng.html) they describe themselves as the oldest and largest gallery of their kind in Tallinn. In my opinion they are also the best.

Anyone who comes to Estonia and who wants to take away something with which to remember it by (and endlessly admire) should shop here. If you're the kind of person who thinks the perfect Estonian souvenir is a Russian doll or something hideous made of amber, don't bother. And buck up your ideas.

2 comments:

Bucky said...

Very pretty.

Anu said...

The glass thing looks even prettier IRL :)
Treating yourself is fun, I recommend it to everyone.