Friday, October 5, 2007

Copperart

No, not a post about the sadly now defunct (?) Australian homeware store, but about Kumu, the new main building of the Art Museum of Estonia.

After decrying the state of architecture in this country I thought I should redress the balance a little by pointing out how wonderful Kumu is, inside and out. It just received another award of some sort, this time from the Copper Development Association in the UK, which doesn't sound all that exciting, but I'm sure they deserved it.

This is what Kumu looks like at the moment:
And here's what it will hopefully look like in a few months' time:

And this is what it looks like when you go in the front door, regardless of the season:

I'm not much of a museum/art gallery person usually, but Kumu is great. A lot of the stuff I can take or leave, but there are a handful of paintings and sculptures I really love, and one installation in particular that is fascinating. Plus you won't pay over the odds to get in and see it all, they have a great shop and the food in the cafe is fantastic. And you can get there by walking through the city's prettiest park, Kadriorg. What more could you want?

No comments: