Friday, November 30, 2007

Tongue-tied

A German guy called Berthold Forssman has had an essay published on Delfi debunking the myth that Estonian is a difficult language to learn.

After waffling on a bit - recounting situations I have found myself in, highlighting some of the trickier areas of grammar and vocabulary and, not unfoundedly, accusing the Estonians themselves of being part of the problem in how they deal with foreigners trying to speak their language - he makes this pertinent [paraphrased] point:

What is the use in promoting your own language as being horrendously difficult? Estonians are proud of their language and love it, and this has kept them from dying out and helped to maintain the independence of their country. I'm as happy about this as they are. But overegg the mystification and, to others, the language becomes completely intangible and unattainable, sapping them of any motivation to learn it.

The way I see it, there are no such things as 'easy' and 'difficult' languages. Learning a language is always hard work, and when you're starting out, some simply seem harder to get a handle on. That's where motivation is so important, and it's something everyone has to find within themselves.
So if someone was to ask me today whether Estonian is really as difficult as it is made out to be, I'd say: "No - what's difficult are the conditions we have to learn Estonian in."

Ironically, the article is concluded with the mysterious abbreviation "Tlk V. K." - referring to the fact, I assume, that the language still presents enough difficulties for Berthold that he had to have it translated into Estonian for publication. Pointing this out would be churlish of me if I didn't know quite so well how he feels.

2 comments:

úlfurinn said...

The way I see it, there are no such things as 'easy' and 'difficult' languages.

Yeah, right.

phutty said...

I guess it depends on where you're coming from. If you're Swedish, for example, I'm guessing Norwegian would be easier for you to learn than, say, Georgian.